Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sleepless nights; sleeping in classes. That's MBA :)

Its been about twenty days since I’ve joined IIFT. As I sit in the cool confines of the A/C classroom now i can look back at these days and i can see a small smile coming to my face.

Life has been hectic over these days. I've been awake at hours I’ve never seen for a long long time(getting up @ 5:30 AM for yoga); sitting in classes with formal shirt and pants; sharing a hostel floor with members of the fairer sex; having birthday parties that go on till 3 AM in the night; sharing a small cake with 160 odd students; asking housewives about their favourite toothpaste; writing assignments in subjects that I'd never learned before in my life; analysing my own psyche in the dream world during classes; making PPT’s till 2 AM in the night; having coffee at 2 AM and on and on.

There hasn't been a point when I was sad or feeling that I had made a wrong choice. Living away from home isn't new for me and I’ve always felt at ease doing so. The trip to Delhi was the 1st time I was travelling by air. I had a good time. It was an early morning flight and even though I’d heard about the flight being the fastest and the safest means of travel until I travelled could I feel it. The flight wasn’t a pleasant experience as such because around me there were 3 families and all of them had small toddlers. One of these started crying and the others will follow as if in chorus.

After the flight I reached IIFT along with a friend from TVM, Ramakrishnan. He was a friend from college days and it was good to have someone along the 1st time here. We reached and got our rooms and I was on the 2nd floor. One among the 6 guys who shares the 2nd floor with 18 other girls. This looked like an opportunity at 1st but then later only we came to know that this is a threat. We guys are scared of keeping our reputations intact by being in this floor.

The classes started on 2nd July with the 1st class being Economics for me. It was a class that was interesting, and the prof was one genius who was giving out gyaan as if he was Adam Smith and we all were his greatest disciples. Some of us had the blank look on our faces when we got out of the class. But this look is better than the “I wanna sleep” look that we sport these days.

The classes are going on in full swing; but it isn’t classes that make the life in a B-School exciting. It is it the life, the senior-junior sessions, the interactions, the small chats, the long debates, the funny skits, the painful yoga lessons in the morning, the music that blares out of the speakers from the room that makes you wanna dance even if you can’t. All these things are what make life @ an MBA college worth living. The friendship, the camaraderie, the small joys, the midnight walks, the hot coffee’s shared, the poor jokes heard, the stories shared about had bosses and endless cribbing about the assignments and the case studies being handed out in classes like candies. All these things make life @ a B-School exciting. I'd heard a lot about this from my seniors who'd been to top colleges, friends who'd been to them and now I feel so special when I'm also telling my juniors and friends about these sleepless nights.

I just hope the 20 odd months that I’m gonna be here are going to be as exciting as the past 20 days have been. Life in MBA is just this one liner-Sleepless nights and Sleeping in classes.

16 comments:

manvi said...

Hey...This couldn't have been put in better words.Great work....waiting for more such records for our (hopefully) beautiful days here.

shweta said...

u wer d first one to b caught dozin;-)...gd ya..bt u missed out on many many other things..wat abt d IQ test n d topper therein;-)

Unknown said...

wel described...but u l hav to keep updatin it...there wud b so much more to add as days pass by...its somethin i can luk bak at after a few years and remember dis very moment i spent here...cool ya!!!

Unknown said...

Gr8 work :) U have put ur thoughts in a good way... Its just a start & long way 2 go thru.., hope this brings smile 4 all :) when we all read the same after 20 months.......

Mohd Jeeshan Alam said...

arre.... you have said everything at the first go.... should have let something for word-of mouth medium..... anyway very wel said....would love to hear more of your insights into life at iift......

Unknown said...

That was a good start Abhi....lets see what will be with us at the end of 20 months weather the sleepless nights or sleeping in classes.All this happiness should increase in an increasing order.All the best IIFT 2009-11.

Homer said...

Dis post's got gud vibes goin..!!
I am happy for you..u seem to be enjoying it..nd i shud say u deverve it too..!!
Cheers :)

Sandeep said...

Good write up...Hope you have more exciting days in the offing..:-)

orchid said...

HEY ABHIE.....GUD WORK YAAR....BT U CANT COMPETE ME IN DOZING OFF IN CLASS....ITS ONLY COZ OF UR MSGS DAT I KEEP AWAKE IN CLASS....:)

Ashi said...

getting up early, tat too by 5.30 n doing YOGA wow!! gr8 experience hehe!!

Hari said...

Awesome!! Sad that I didn't get the first comment this time! :(

Coming to yoga, you lost weight? :P It's rejuvenating na? :) Keep practicing. :D

And, IQ Test topper?! :-O Didn't know that. :P

Abhijith said...

Cool man !!
Can relate to every bit of it.the best part is you wouldn't feel sleepy till the moment you enter the class, but once you sit in your seat, witchcraft happens. No time to type more . Midterms are going on ....

Quest said...

So enjoying there? :D

I was busy ;) very busy :D

Got over with the heart matters? ;) So thinking with the mind? Any gals out there? ;)

Hari Vishnu said...

GR8 to know ure enjoyin life out there, abhi chetta :).. atleast u feel happy with ur decision.. and that second para about ur Life@IIFT was quite a read :)..

mathew said...

been working as a employed person for so long i think i am spoilt to do a MBA the way you have mentioned here...i think i ll take a correspondence course..;-P

Jay Prakash said...

Nice post after reading your blog i feel good cause even i used to feel same when i was doing my MBA.