Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Birthday blues

Today i celebrated my 22nd birthday. Well it'll be wrong to say that i CELEBRATED, plainly because i didn't celebrate anything. Not because i don't like the idea of celebrating myself getting old or because i'm a snob who hates such celebrations. But then there were two main reasons why i didn't like the idea of CELEBRATING my birthday. One being that i'm not in the best of financial conditions to celebrate anything, let alone give my friends at work a decent party. Second being i'm not in the best of mental conditions for any kind of celebration. The financial conditions got so bad mainly due to my bad management of my salary. I ended up spending a lot more than i'd planned when i went to Kolkata. I more than 3k for the books i bought. I'd planned to buy around 1000 bucks worth of books and save the rest for my birthday and also for my now-cancelled leave to go home. But after getting back happily from Kolkata i'd a really bad week. It started with me being down on one day because of the extreme heat in the plant. The temperature in the town in around 40 deg and due to the conditions in the plant it's 5 deg more inside the plant. All this took a toll on me and i had a real bad time on tuesday evening and on wednesday morning i'd so much pain in my body that i couldn't get up from my bed. I decided to have a day off from work and just sleep thru th day. After spending half the day sleeping, i just got up and had some water. Slept again till evening and then went to see the doc. I'd told my problems and she first asked me if i'd fever. When i said no, she asked if i'd been out too much in the sun. When i replied positively, she said that i was suffering from sun stroke. WOW. Now that's something that you only get to hear in hi-fi fashion mags. I was elated bt at the same time worried too. She said i'll be ok in a day and it was good on my part to take rest. After this i had an ok kind of week. Only the usual pump getting a vibration problem and some gearbox getting oil leaks i had a tension free week. Now while typing this post from my mobile i'm watching Lakshya, the Hritik starring action picture about the transformation of a young man from a carefree guy to a military man with responsibilities. I don't know why but i felt i'm also getting the same kind of transformation. Not that i'm in a war front, but this will be the closest i'll get to a war front. These scorching temperatures, the squabbling workers, being far from home, missing my friends. All this. I know i'm comparing somethings that are far far apart. But then why do i feel so, i don't know. I got up today to my girlfriend calling me at 5 AM. She'd set a 12midnight alarm to wish me but it ended up waking her at 5. So i got my first wish of the day from her. That was a great thing for me. I just don't how to explain but i think guys and gals in love would understand. Actually it wasn't the first wish, I got a few wishes at midnight. But then i slept at 1 in the night after watching the film 'Shooter' in a senior's room. I saw a lot of scraps in my orkut scrapbook and also got a few messages in my phone. All these make me happy, but then now the boredom hits back. The day is going on and i don't know how i'll celebrate in the middle of all this. It's just another boring day in orissa :)

11 comments:

mathew said...

Birthday wishes buddy!!!..
everyone starts contemplating on the day of their birthday..but have fun today...I guess you already got the best gift possible through that phone call!! ;-D

Aparna said...

oh my god! u got a sun stroke?????

and btw i was the first one to call u to wish u a happy birthday! and i see no mention about that :( how rude!

anyways, hope u had a good day. it would have been nice if u were here to give us all a treat at Amb! :P
miss u da....

many many happy returns of the day...!

Hari Vishnu said...

well well what a bday..

Belated Happy Birthday by the way..

Abhi said...

@Mathew-Thanks buddy. I'm having fun reading books n watching movies and listening to music. Not my kinda fun though, bt no complaints. U guessed it right. :)

@Krish-I did mention i got other calls in midnight. I too wish i was home. Thanks anyways:)

@Hari-Thanks buddy:)

Hari said...

Hey...
*Technically*, I was the first person to wish you a Happy Birthday!

For a person who enjoys every single B'day to the max, that might've been terribly boring. I can empathize with you very much.'coz almost every b'day of mine is like yours (or perhaps, worse)

:-)

Enjaaay!

nandu-legendinthemaking said...

Now that wasn't a good bday u wud hv had right?But the part i really liked nd i bet u wudv liked too was da call frm ur girl...Keep gng bro ..All da very best...God bless..

manoranjini said...

belated birthday wishes..you have never sounded this down-in-the-dumps ..but cheer up!as they say,'this to shall pass!" n its all for the mighty Hrithik-like transformation rit... ;-)

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Hey belated birthday wishes and congratulations and welcome to the 'sun-stroke' group!

I once got a sun-stroke travelling in a car between Trichur and Cochin at the peak of summer. Beat that :)

Abhi said...

@Hari-Thanks again. :)

@Nandu-U got it right. :)

@Manoranjini- If th transformation gave me Hritik lik muscles i'd've been all arms open welcoming it, but this doesn't look like that.:(

@GWBE- Thanks for the wishes. The thing u told abt ur sunstroke is unbelievable. Wasn't tha car having aircon? Or u kanjoose wanted to get more mileage!

Abhi said...

@Hari-Thanks again. :)

@Nandu-U got it right. :)

@Manoranjini- If th transformation gave me Hritik lik muscles i'd've been all arms open welcoming it, but this doesn't look like that.:(

@GWBE- Thanks for the wishes. The thing u told abt ur sunstroke is unbelievable. Wasn't tha car having aircon? Or u kanjoose wanted to get more mileage!

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Yeah there was a kanjoos...but it wasn't me. I was in a taxi and the driver wouldn't hear of switching on the aircon :(